Image result for happiness quotes

Happiness

  What is happiness? This question is asked a lot, but really no one has the true definition for it. According to Merriam-Webster dictionary happiness means a state of well-being and contentment (1828) Happiness can mean different things for different people, and I think that’s why people have such a hard time deciding what it means. Psychoanalyst and philosopher Adam Phillip stated, “Anyone who could maintain a state of happiness, given the state of this world, is living in a delusion.” This simply means that our world sucks, and if were happy living in it, then were just living a false life. I disagree strongly with this quote, honestly it makes me mad.
               The world that we live in right now, has seen it’s better days. A lot of bad things are happening, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t be happy. For example, Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. A student came to school and shot 17 people and injured 17 people. I agree that this event is very sad, and millions of people are angry, but I am happy that no one else was hurt or killed. It’s kind of like having a flow experience, we can’t be happy about the shooting, but we can be happy now because gun laws are getting stricter, and schools are cracking down on security (Csikszentmihalyi 547). I don’t have kids, but I’m happy now knowing that since the shooting, my kids will be aware and know what to do in a situation such as this one.
               One bad event that happened not too long ago was the Boston bombing. It took a big tole on the world because terrorism was involved. A total of 3 people was killed, and hundreds were injured. Now days, it’s normal to not feel safe in the world. I know sometimes I don’t even feel safe pumping my gas, but without these tragic world events, we would have nothing to make us strong enough to face terrible things that happen in our lives. We can’t just think that bad things won’t happen, and not be ready to face them. I agree that the bombing was very sad and scary, but now we have learned more information on terrorist, bombs, and the affect these situations have on people.
               To understand happiness, we must get a hold of what makes us happy (Kingwell 530). Bad things happen, I understand that, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be happy. We can be happy about things that may come out of those bad situations. Happiness all depends on yourself. Personally, I try to live a happy life. 




“Happiness.” Merriam-Webster, Merriam-Webster, www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/happiness.  
              

Comments

  1. I agree with you when you say I don't even feel safe pumping gas. I have that same feeling. I feel like at any moment I could get robbed or hurt when I'm pumping gas alone. I am also happy that the gun rules are getting even more strict. Life is going to throw scary things our way but we have to learn how to just put it passed us. Happiness I feel like is a choice. You choose what you do so you choose whether you stay happy or become sad or mad. As long as there you keep yourself positive you should remain happy. I enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rumors

Introduction

Ethical Decision